Sunday 31 May 2009

Pea Soup with Mint!


Another lovely day with breakfast in the garden. The sun is just coming over the houses and highlighting the daisies and buttercups in the lawn. They look so pretty but will all be gone when the lawn gets mown. Not to worry the daisies spring back overnight and I really don't want the buttercups lovely though they are!
-
I made some pea soup today. I don't have any peas as the garden is too small to grow them though I'd like to, but I do have loads of mint and it is really young and fresh at the moment. For this quite delicious soup which is ideal for a hot summer day and is also good cold by the way, one needs 350g of peas, one large red onion, a garlic clove, vegetable stock cube and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. That is it! Put the oil in a large heavy saucepan with the chopped onion, the minced garlic and the chopped up peas (sugar snap are best) and heat on low for 10 minutes to sweat the veggies. I also use lots of black pepper. Then boil a pint of water and mix with the stock cube. Pour into the saucepan with a couple of sprigs of mint. Stir. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Cool and liquidise to the consistency you like. Eat! Delicious! Especially with a dribble of cream! Yummy!
-
Went to the garden centre today and found some new to me herbs. I bought some chervil, caraway, winter savoury and woodruff. I love caraway seeds. Especially in a sandwich with lots of butter. Space is getting limited so I'll have to curb the buying and see how things grow. This weather is certainly bringing things on. Only problem is one needs to water pretty regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment