Wednesday 12 August 2009

Photography Practice!

I’ve been reading the manual that came with my camera – the Fuiji Finepix S9600. I think I now know what I’m doing wrong when taking close ups. The camera has two modes. One of close ups (macro) and one for even better close ups (super macro). That is: 3.9” and 0.4” respectively. I think in the past I’ve been too close when in ordinary macro mode. Now I find that if I focus and it’s fuzzy and then unfocus and start again from a little further away that I can get a better picture.

For example with the lollo rosso flower head I was too close DSCF2240 DSCF2241 but when I moved away slightly I got a much sharper picture. It is easy to under estimate or over estimate distances especially when one is wanting to be quick to get a fly or insect into the picture. DSCF2236 I do think I’m going to have to invest in some different lenses if I want enlarged close ups! But that’s a lesson for another day. I’m going to try and master one thing at a time rather than over-dose on several and end up not being good at anything!  These are some of the pictures I took tonight using my new found knowledge. Not perfect but decidedly better!! DSCF2237

 

 

 

 

DSCF2239

DSCF2245 DSCF2246

With the nasturtiums above in the first picture I focused on the flower and the bud was hazy but in the second picture the bud was the focal point and the flowers were slightly hazy!

DSCF2247 DSCF2248

Signs of autumn with berries on the honeysuckle, and yet there are still blossoms as well!

DSCF2249

A tiny moth on the hydrangea!

8 comments:

  1. Welldone on working it out!

    You will also likely find that you can push the camera further if you have excellent lighting. I alway found this with mine anyway... Lighting is often key in pushing the lenses that little bit further to get more detail :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you're having a go and getting better results :)

    Perhaps I should go away and read my manual ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference!

    You will be creating dazzling pics exactly as you envision them in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the perfect pink flower! Begonia?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little doodads on new cameras are always a little tricky at first, but watch when you get everything figured out! The insects won't stand a chance of you catching them by surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serious photography can be very addicting Val... but satisfying, especially when you keep getting what you really want. As the saying goes, practice makes perfect.

    At times, when pictures are taken from unusual angle, it does add to the surprise element. Anything at eye level is common to most and miss the wow factor! But your shots are coming out just fine Val...
    A very nice day to you,
    ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I have bought a book; a kind of workshop manual with exercises to work through. It is called Digital Photography Masterclass by TomAng. I hope it is as good as it looks. Val

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, that honeysuckle is beautiful! I've never noticed berries on mine. Then again, I have an amazingly fragrant, but very prolific (read: weedy) one.

    I really really think what I need is a macro lense. There's a lot that is just not possible to photograph without one. I thought I remembered seeing the one I wanted for $80 or so, and I had some b-day money so off to the store I went. Turns out, it was on SALE for $80 off it's price of about $700! Time to start saving. Your 2 pics of the lollo rosso ertr very interesting though.

    ReplyDelete