Thursday 2 July 2009

Rain! I wanted rain but . . .

The garden was desperate for some rain because even though I was watering daily that wasn’t as good as rain water or probably not nearly enough!  However when it did rain it didn’t do things by halves. Starting at midnight we had thunder and torrential rain which continued on and off until lunchtime.

 rain in garden It was bouncing off the paving slabs and battering the more delicate plants so that they flattened where they grew. I had watered thoroughly the night before and I was glad I had as the rain soaked into the dampened soil rather than running off it as it would if it had been dry. There were several small floods in the vicinity as the drains gave up trying to cope with so much rain all at one go.

DSCF0024 The Cosmos has gone from this to this with ragged and battered blooms.

DSCF0001

Just a bit of sun and some warmth and it will all be blooming lovely again!

 

7 comments:

  1. Oh please send your rain east to us in Guildford, I am so envious and would like to cool off too, although I know the few cosmos and lavatera etc I planted out a week ago will take a battering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please send us your rain, I've had enough of the heat now and need things to cool down. Last night was terrible here, just so hot with no breeze to cool the bedroom down and taking two to three showers a day is the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that your garden got a good drenching. Will save you walking round with the watering can :) We have had rain on and off this week in the north west but it has still remained most humid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heavens have opened here in Yorkshire this morning, and it's still raining now. It's nice as the air feels so much more refreshing today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If anybody wants more rain I'll gladly send mine. Enough is enough...if it continues like so I won't have any garden left to speak of as the erosion has been horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from rainy West Virginia! The humidity is high and I am trying not to think of the various fungi that will pop up as a result. Is a little angst a bit a part of gardening? The good thing is that some new day lilies are in bloom and the deer missed some of the Casablancas. Good gardening, Valeri.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I think by now most people will have had some rain. I hope it got to Guildford Joanne! At least the humidity here has dissapated and one doesn't run at the seams with the smallest effort made! Hope it's the same for you Anna by now. As Rowena commented 'enough is enough'. Now a little gentle sunshine and warmth would be pleasing. Thank you all for your comments!

    ReplyDelete